Thursday, May 15, 2008

Health Update

I know…I know…I’m overdue to post an update. Days are flying by and there’s just too much to talk about; but, since the blog is about ‘her’, we will keep it short and sweet.

A couple weeks ago, what I thought of as a normal comfy pregnancy went down hill really fast. It was probably around the time the temperature started rising that the hormones in me began going wacko. I broke out with the pupps rash (common rash around tummy and chest area when pregnant). The doc prescribed a heavy cream that finally made it go away after a few days. I tell ya worst feeling in the world to have an itchy body. I got nearly no sleep waking up in hives and having to apply lotion and cream multiple times throughout the night. Yes, baby got a nice massage from the rubbing and scratching. Seriously, doc did run a couple blood tests and she’s doing fine in there.

Besides the rash, I was also due for a glucose test for gestational diabetes. The regular test is 1hr. I drank a bottle of liquid similar to orange soda then sat in the lab for 1hr and got my blood drawn afterwards. Unfortunately, the result was higher than normal which means, my body isn’t breaking down the sugar in the orange soda fast enough. I had to then go in this past Saturday for a more thorough test which takes 3hrs. Yogi brought his labtop and I bought my magazine and ipod to keep ourselves busy. I had a blood draw before and every hour after (4x total). The test results showed one high score so I’m now waiting for my nurse consultant to call and tell me what I have to do next. Per our previous conversation, one high score means I have glucose intolerance which requires a specific diet and periodic blood tests to ensure I’m in range. If two or more of the scores are high then I have gestational diabetes which requires the diet and regular blood tests at every meal. The real bummer about this is I can’t eat the sugars I love or have any control of what I eat and when…ahhhh!

So, that is pretty much were we are health wises. I’m at my 27th week and entering the 3rd trimester. The weight is starting to come on faster and eating more so the diet might not be such a bad thing. The swelling in my hands and feet are definitely more prominent these days thus sugar might not be my only problem if the salt is to blame for it. Eh, not so bad to be wearing sandals and floppies every where these days, just need to make sure I apply sun block to my toes too :o)

Yogi and I are very excited about skipping town Wednesday night for our long weekend in the coast visiting Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Muir Woods. It’ll be our last little vacation before ‘she’ arrives. We hope to catch cooler weather and enjoy some time away from home and all these parties!!

2 comments:

Mala said...

Enjoy your long weekend and definitely not a bad idea getting away from this heat. It will help you keep your mind off sugar too. Good luck with the tests.

MACMD said...

Gosh... pregnancy is such a bag of marbles isn't it? As for all those blood tests... OWWWW!!! I swear, I just need to adopt.