Monday, September 8, 2008

Sleeping Beauty

Since Katie has been home, she's been a good baby (knock on wood). She has her usual crying times to be feed, changed or rocked to sleep - nothing too demanding where she'd cry for long stretches. Of course, there's always room for improvements.

My sister-in-law, Fil lent us the above DVD called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block, The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Baby Sleep Longer' by Harvey Karp, MD. The basic secret is to recreate the sensation of being in the womb from putting them in the exact position to making sounds that they're uses to. At first try, Katie calmed down instantly and soon fell asleep. The most useful technique for us is swaddling. We knew very early that she doesn't like to be swaddled and loves to have her arms out. Thus, we've let her hang loose but she'll whack her arms in between naps and wake herself. So according to the video, we swaddled her anyways, calmed her down and soothed her to sleep. Once asleep, she's less jumpy and able to sleep longer. The video seems to be working for us and wouldn't hurt for ALL OF YOU PARENTS (and parents to-be) TO WATCH THE VIDEO TOO! Anything for more sleep is definitely worth a try. Thanks Fil.

Closing in on week 3 with our little princess, this is her favorite position to fall asleep on Mommy and Daddy, probably because it was her first position on Mommy when she came out.

Her naps are going on 3hrs instead of 2hrs which means more sleep for us! She'd rather sleep than eat...hmm...wonder which parent she got that from. It's funny how she sucks on her lips during a nap.

Catching ZZZZs any way possible.

Nice that she has her own builtin pacifier.

Don't think she likes the idea of an arrange marriage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo,she is so cute.I love her sleeping pose. found she always smiles.

Anonymous said...

When I read your last post I was going to say swaddle anyway because even though most babies cry when their arms are restricted, they don't know what they want (haha..) For Gabriel we just swaddle him and he'll sleep so well sometimes I had to poke him to make sure he's still alive. He no longer wants/needs to be swaddle so I have 4 swaddle me if you need them. Let me know!

MACMD said...

The best part of swaddling is watching Daddy try to do it. I've watched a few men screw it up royally and it's super amusing. Of course, you probably have those fancy swaddle things with the velcro closing (which is what Joy was talking about) but they sort of take the fun out of it! haha!

Meagan said...

Hey Linh,

Forgive me for being such a deadbeat...I really do think of you guys all the time. The race just ruined me. I think I'm done with races now...haha. I'm glad that you are getting some rest, even if it is stuttered. HUGS

Anonymous said...

We'll definitely have to get that dvd if it helps you guys get more sleep :) Hopefully swaddling works for us. She looks so peaceful sleeping, you guys must have millions of pictures!