Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thanks Karla!

I don't mean to dampen the spirits of my blog but I think it's important to pay tribute to friends and family who are important to us; people who have played significant roles in our lives to become better people in one way or another. Roles that will help us become better parents too.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from Verna that Karla (bride in pix below) has past away. She was an ex-coworker at Health Net and we became good friends after we both parted from HN. A few months ago she was unfortunately diagnosed with leukemia and have been fighting the disease ever since. She received a bone marrow transplant towards the beginning of the year and infections have not been easy to overcome.

She was definitely a fighter and if anyone can endure such emotional and physical stress, she was the superwoman to do it! I know she didn't give up. I know she hung on as long as she could and I know she's at peace knowing she tried as hard as she did.

This woman (Karla) was surely a one-of-a-kind. She uses to sit on the other side of the cubicle from me at HN and I uses to work through smart azz comments she would shoot back to anther coworker, Mike. It was like listening to a funny afternoon talk show on the radio. The fun never stops when she's around.

She committed herself 150% every time she worked on a project. Her genuine efforts and dedication towards helping others succeed is very respectable. She's also made valuable time to visit us when she could even for a few minutes or just a drink. I'll never forget the apple martinis you and I bought for one another when we could have paid our own...haha... I’ve learned a lot from you, Karla. Thank you. You will definitely be missed. R.I.P girl friend.

1 comment:

MACMD said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Linh. It puts my current struggle into perspective. And you didn't bring down the spirit of your blog - I thought your tribute was touching.